Preventing Back Injuries
Thousands of people suffer from back injuries over the world causing discomfort, pain and limited mobility.This type of injury can disrupt someone’s life especially when it happens in the workplace.
Find below some tips that will help you avoid back injuries and keep you working:
- Use the correct techniques for bending, lifting and moving loads.
- Exercise and stretch regularly to help strengthen back and abdominal muscles to keep healthy.
- Wear comfortable, supportive and non-slip shoes.
- Retain a good posture to help ease strain on the back
- Weight loss can help reduce strain on the back, especially in overweight adults.
Lifting at work
If lifting is part of your job, ensure that you take the correct measures to keep your back healthy while lifting heavy objects.
- Ensure there is enough space around to lift the item. Trips, Falls and Slips can be avoided if lifting area is safe and clear.
- Test the weight of the item before engaging in the lift. If the item seems to heavy or difficult to grasp ensure you get help or use lifting equipment like a dolly or split the weight into smaller loads.
- Keep items close to the body when lifting to reduce strain.
- Your feet and shoulder should be width apart to form a solid base of support.
- Grip what you’re lifting tightly.
- Always bend down at the knees, not at the waist.
- Take short breaks when lifting multiple items consistently.
- Avoid twisting as you lift.
- Use gloves when necessary for lifting to help with traction and protection.
According to the United States Centers for Disease Control, back injuries account for 20% of all injuries and illnesses in the workplace. Avoid these injuries by using these simple steps as your guide to ‘Work Safe, Think Safe and Go Home Safe’.